Red Dead Redemption 2
Current Release date: OCTOBER 26, 2018 (PS4, Xbox One) / June-July 2019
"Developed by the creators of Grand Theft Auto V and Red Dead Redemption, Red Dead Redemption 2 is an epic tale of life in America’s unforgiving heartland. The game’s vast and atmospheric world will also provide the foundation for a brand new online multiplayer experience." - Rockstar Games
If it's your first time visiting this page, or you just need a resume of all the gathered info, please watch this video from our friends at GTASeries here.
Pages in development
- The game is set in 1899.
- RDR2 dev is led by Rockstar North.
- RDR2 chronicles the "fall and fracture" of the gang.
- RDR2 focuses heavily on player choice for the story and missions - " “We try to give you options within a lot of these missions to choose how you approach it, whether you'll send your buddies in first or whether you'll go in first,” says Rob Nelson, Co-Studio Head at Rockstar North, speaking to how players choices can affect interactions and missions."
- It is player choice how Arthur interacts with the gang - he can hunt and explore alone, or he can keep the camp fed and supplied.
- Interacting with the gang can earn job and mission invites.
- Unknown yet if these choices affect narrative, but they will affect gameplay, but cutscenes can change depending how much Arthur helps the gang.
- Between Redemption and Redemption II: “It’s a companion piece,” Rob Nelson, co-studio head of Rockstar North, tells me. “They exist together. They’re connected. There’s a lot of connective tissue between the two stories and lots of characters that you’ve seen before that you’ll see again.”
- IGN saw a 45 minute demo - Bill needs Arthur's help on a small bank job in the town of Valentine.
- RDR2 is technically a standalone and you don't need to have played Redemption to get the story.
- Every NPC has a purpose in the world with work schedules.
- Arthur's actions are connected to the world as Rockstar Games want players to live as him, not just play as him.
- Home is the gang's camp, a living breathing community.
- New gang members seen in the demo - Sean McGuire, Pearson (camp cook), Lenny, Karen.
- Every gang member has a job within the community, such as cleaning clothes, collecting wood, which players will see happen naturally.
- Gang spirits are higher if Arthur keeps the community well-fed through hunting or buying supplies.
- If gang food is low, members get angry and start muttering about Arthur.
- Camera doesn't cut away during interactions.
- Rockstar is "blurring the lines" between main missions and side quests.
- Missions and side questions are contextual i.e. depend on time of day and who you are with.
- How NPCs react to Arthur depends on his choices in the world - each interaction offers a choice.
- An example of choice seen when meeting an NPC was "Greet" or "Antagonise" and these dynamically change.
- HUD was mostly switched off for the demo.
- NPCs also react to how Arthur conducts himself within the world i.e. travelling with gun drawn or holstered makes a difference.
- Farmers won't like Arthur travelling too close to their lands.
- IGN witnessed Arthur looting from a nearby fisherman - fisherman's dog raised warning.
- Arthur can choose how to deal with situations if caught stealing or commiting a crime - peacefully or forcefully.
- Bounty for murder is higher than robbery.
- Demo was set in an area called New Hanover.
- Wildlife is rich - birds, deer, fireflies, bears, rabbits seen in the demo.
- Horses are vastly improved - your horse is your companion rather than transport.
- Arthur can bond with his mount - calming it when agitated, feeding it, grooming it.
- Strong bonds with your horse can result in calmer personality.
- Untrained horses are unpredictable.
- Horses stay put when dismounting.
- You can whistle for horse but only if you're nearby.
- Horses carry supplies and larger weapons.
- Different horse breeds have different personalities reacting to the environment and situations.
- When hunting, Arthur can tie trophies to his horse or skin them first.
- Skinning animations and sounds return.
- Weapon seen in demo - bow and arrow for hunting.
- Arthur can crouch when hunting.
- Animal distress sounds are "brutal, bloody and exceptionally unpleasant" when hunting.
- Dead animals left on the ground from the hunt decay over time so should be returned to camp.
- When selling meat to butchers, you'll get more money for better quality i.e. less decay or less gun shot debris.
- Other characters can ask Arthur what direction to complete the mission in.
- Dead Eye returns and is mostly similar to Redemption in the demo.
- The map is a large world sprawling from snowy wastelands in the north to swamps in the south with a city in-between.